Craniosacral Therapy for Healthy Children
Parents looking for an effective, yet safe, non-invasive and drug free alternative to healthcare for their children have found it in Craniosacral Therapy.
Complications during the pre-natal or post-natal periods that give rise to physical, behavioural and learning conditions in children can be effectively resolved with Craniosacral Therapy.
How it works
Through the sense of touch, the Craniosacral therapist detects the current state of the child’s body and whether there are any physical, emotional, thinking and behavioural imbalances in the body, head and nervous system.
A light touch and subtle movement is used to release tight tissues and restrictions of nerve passages. The head and spine are brought into alignment by a massage-like movement, optimizing the flow of the cerebral spinal fluid through the spinal cord. This not only puts the child into a deep relaxation, it brings the body into harmony.
Improvements are commonly achieved with the following:
- Physical conditions: misshapen head, headaches and migraines; back or neck pain; muscle strains; effects of car accidents and other serious trauma; asthma and breathing difficulties; glue ear and associated hearing problems; poor co-ordination and clumsiness.
- Emotional conditions: anger and frustration; withdrawal; bereavement; nightmares.
- Mental conditions: stress-related problems; learning, concentration and behavioral disorders; dyspraxia; ADD & ADHD; dyslexia; epilepsy; autism and Asperger’s syndrome; cerebral palsy and other brain injuries.
Craniosacral therapy can be performed during pregnancy in preparation for birth, right after birth on the child and the mother, and on children of any age.
Craniosacral Therapy for New-Born Babies
The birthing process is hard labor for mother and child. The baby’s body is very flexible and the bones of the skull can move easily. As the baby passes through the birthing canal, these little bones may move over each other. If they become stuck, they can block nerves or blood vessels that regulate the function of organs, as well as breathing and digestion.
Gentle touch therapy at the cranial base can release any compression on the nerves. Craniosacral Therapy on the chest area will help to ease breathing and release tension. It is also effective for newborns with misshapen heads, or those who do not latch on well to nurse.
“The inner wisdom of a child is every bit as intelligent as that of an adult,” said Dr. John E. Upledger, developer of Craniosacral Therapy. “It knows what its body needs to correct its dysfunctions. It has a softer voice than the adult inner wisdom; therefore the Craniosacral therapist must learn to listen carefully. Once the connection is made, all the information you need will be forthcoming.”
It is the gentle nature of CST and how it is based on following the child’s inner wisdom that makes it such a safe mode of treatment.
Craniosacral Therapy for Children with Autism and Learning Difficulties
Craniosacral Therapy helps children all along the spectrum of autism feel more safe and aware of the world around them, thus easing tension and aiding relaxation.
- For dysgraphia, CST helps reduce tension in the child’s arms and hands, making the process of writing easier.
- Children with dyslexia often have difficulty processing visual and auditory information, and CST can reduce tension around the eyes and ears, so areas of the brain that process language can function better.
- Children with cerebral palsy, plagiocephaly, synostosis and seizure disorders have also benefitted from CST.
Emotions and the stress these kids may feel about being different is also something that can be addressed with Craniosacral Therapy. The sessions aim to help them understand the value of who they are and how they see the world.
Craniosacral Therapy at Alive Wellness
Alive Wellness is a holistic wellness centre located on Wyndham Street, Central, Hong Kong. We support you in achieving a level of well-being that enables you to live the life you love. That goes for your children too. Alice Yuen, qualified Physiotherapist and Craniosacral therapist, has been practising CST since 2002. She has successfully helped many children restore their health with CST. Call (+852) 2541 8600 or email email@example.com for a consultation or to book your session.